BOS CHALLENGE WEEKENDS
The BOS Challenge Weekends are new for 2023 and will run alongside the British Open Series (BOS) Competitions, on the Saturday and Sunday only. While the Challenge Weekends target Club Pilots, higher rated pilots who are not interested in competition are also welcome to participate. We hope to be able to provide Coach Support for Club Pilots with more than 10 hours airtime and other pilots with a lack of currency who would like support.
- BOS 1: Base - Yorkshire Dales - Streethead Caravan Site
Competition Dates: Sat 10 June to Wed 14 June
Challenge Weekend: Sat 10 and Sun 11 June
- BOS 2 - Base - Wales - Fforest Fields Caravan Site
Competition Dates: Sat 1 July to Wed 5 July
Challenge Weekend: Sat 1 and Sunday 2 July
What to expect at a BOS Challenge Weekend?
- Enjoy flying for fun with others
- Benefit from coordinated transport between take off and bottom landing.
- Participate in personal challenges to improve flying skills in a supportive environment
- Learn by listening to, watching and/or flying with more experienced pilots
- Fly different sites
- Make contacts with pilots from different areas of the country
- Learn more about the use of instruments for navigation and competition
- Join any talks or development session organised on non-flying days.
- Enjoy the social side of events with the friendly and supportive hang gliding community
- Enjoy discounted rates at the competition campsites not only for the challenge days but also for the remaining week.
- Purchase BOS mementos e.g. T-shirts at a discounted price
Who can participate and how much does it cost?
BOS Challenge and End of Season Fly-in
Open to BHPA members who hold a rating as follows:
- Pilot rating or above with currency in last 2 years
Cost per event - £10 entry fee to each event to contribute toward site costs etc.
- Club Pilot +10 hours and low-air time/low-currency pilots wanting support. Early application is recommended as places may have to be limited depending on the number of volunteer coaches available. Log Book required.
The coach(es) providing support may decide that conditions or site are not suitable for your experience or currency level. All participants are expected to accept the advice of coaches.
Cost per event - £35 entry fee to each event to contribute toward coach expenses and transport between Take Off and Landing.
- Club Pilot less than 10 hours are welcome to attend, but to fly they may need to be supported by someone who knows them well. Log Book required if hoping to fly. Please be aware, the coach on site may decide that conditions or site are not suitable for your experience or level of currency. All participants are expected to accept the advice of coaches.
Cost - Nil (If attending with own supporter, please contribute toward their expenses)
Requirements for Entry to BOS Challenge:
- All Entrants: BHPA Membership card or digital membership
- Club Pilots or others wanting support: Log Book or other evidence of experience.
BOS Challenge - Social Events
Saturday Evening - Campsite Get-together
- What to expect: An informal social gathering at the campsite is planned for the Saturday evening of each BOS Challenge. This is a good opportunity to meet new pilots and other campers.
This will probably be based around a fire pit with some beers and music. Depending on numbers, some food may be organised with the cost being shared between those opting in.
- Music: Arrangements will be made for music to be played on a speaker, so bring a playlist if you want.
Live music would be great! There are a number of musicians amongst you. If you are one, please bring along an instrument if you can and join other musicians for a bit of fun. Music will finish by 10pm as we need to be quiet in the campsites after that time.
- Bad Weather Alternative: In the event of weather making a campsite based event difficult, a local pub may be chosen as an alternative.
If staying longer than the weekend:
Tuesday Evening - BOS Meal: BOS Challenge entrants who wish to stay longer than the weekend, are welcome to join the BOS Meal at a subsidised rate.